Main content

Alert message


The Church of St. Thomas à Becket is situated on a small terrace above the Bybrook river. It is built entirely of bath stone and is the largest of the three Anglican churches of the benefice.


This church has stood here for at least 800 years. The original church was built in 1200, but little remains except part of an arch.


There are many interesting memorials in and around the Church of St Thomas à Becket. These include the memorial for John Hanning Speke, the explorer who discovered the source of the Nile and the triangular pinnacle gravestone, built for a husband who did not want his estranged wife dancing on his grave!


Most services here are held within the main body of the church, but smaller more intimate services are held either within the Hazelbury Chapel area in the north aisle or in the recently refurbished chancel.