Main content

Alert message

Ditteridge, a hamlet about a mile to the north-west of Box village, has been a continuous settlement since neolithic times. It was the site of a Roman villa, was a considerable Anglo-Saxon centre, and features in the Doomsday Book. The Fosse Way touches the parish at one point, where the "shire stones' mark the convergence of the counties of Wiltshire, Somerset and Gloucestershire and the diocese of Bristol, Bath and Wells, and Salisbury. The parish boundaries are far from clear and follow an irregular route around hamlets, hereditaments and farmlands along the valley of the Bybrook and up to higher ground and open country, but all within the Civil Parish of Box.

The present parish church, dedicated to St. Christopher, is an early Norman (1097) two cell building constructed in local stone. Only lightly restored in Victorian times it retains interesting historical features including a late Saxon or early Norman font, a carved Norman doorway with 'imposts' in the form of human heads and guardian dragons, dedication crosses and a Norman slit window. It has a rood stair, scratch dial and very early graffiti. In 1997 parishioners celebrated 900 years of worship in this building. The church is small, seating some seventy people. At festival times chairs are added, and on occasions it can be standing room only. The church has a particular concern for rural ministry and the support of the farming community

Canon John Ayers is licensed as a Honorary Curate in the benefice and to him, as Associate Minister, is delegated the immediate pastoral care of the Ditteridge congregation and worship at St. Christopher's. Before retiring from teaching in 1999 he was also head of a church aided school in Calne and has had responsibility for Ditteridge for about twenty years. He has experience of a range of activities and roles in the Diocese, and is currently a member of the DAC. Canon Ayers is non-stipendary.

The Church Building

The fabric of the church was extensively restored in 1860 and is in good condition throughout. The modern vestry was added in 1967 and more recently enhanced with a sink and storage cupboards.

In 1990, a new gas central heating boiler, boiler room and lavatory were added. Utilities serving the church are electricity, gas, water and main sewer.

The organ was rebuilt in 1992 and an organ case built to mark the millennium in 2000. One pew has been removed from behind the font towards the west end of the nave to provide space for wheelchairs and to give more room around the font for baptisms. A ramp and wheelchair are available. The church has a loop induction and sound reinforcement system, large print books, but a lavatory that does not meet present day disabled access standards.

Car parking in the narrow country lanes is an insuperable problem for increasing numbers of worshippers and visitors arriving by car. However, a farmer neighbour generously allows the use of a large farmyard which provides an ample parking facility.

As an ancient Norman church within the Cotswold Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, St. Christopher's has a regular succession of visitors from both this country and overseas. The building attracts students from the International Language School in the hamlet as well as ramblers and walkers. The church is open for daylight hours and literature is always available to enable visitors to use the oasis of quiet for spiritual refreshment and not just to gratify architectural or historical curiosity. This provides an added spur to the considerable support, assistance and involvement by volunteers of all ages in the all-round regular life of the church.